Sri Devi Ravana
Department of Information Systems
Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology
University of Malaya
Kuala Lumpur 50603, Malaysia
Who am I?
I completed my Bachelor in Information Technology (Information Science) in 2000 at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (National University of Malaysia), and my Master of Software Engineering in 2001 at University of Malaya. I completed my PhD at the Dept. of Computer Science and Software Engineering, The University of Melbourne.
PhD supervised by: Prof. Alistair Moffat.
PhD advisory committee: Prof. Justin Zobel and Assoc. Prof. Tim Baldwin.
I am attached as an academic staff with the Dept. of Information Systems, Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology, University of Malaya in Malaysia.
- IR Evaluation (e.g., test collections, metrics, experiment design)
- Web Information Systems
Supervision (Since 2012)
- Effective Information Retrieval Techniques for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (University Malaya Research Grant : RG093/12 ICT), 2012 - 2014
- Design and Integration of Effective Wikis in Technology Enhanced Learning Environment (UM Flagship Grant: FL001-2012), 2012 - 2014
- Information Retrieval Evalution Methods (High Impact Research Grant(UM.C/625/1/HIR/MOE/FCSIT/14)), 2013 - 2016
- Exploring Feasibility of Enhancing The Realibility Of Information Retrieval Performance Measurements In Large Scale Experimental Evaluation (Exploratory Research Grant Scheme (ERGS) - ER027-2013A), 2013 - 2016
- Measuring Credibility of Web Documents For Credibilty-inspired Ranking Of Document Retrieval (Geran Penyelidikan Universiti Malaya (UMRG Programme) - AET (Innovative Technology (ITRC))(RP028E-14AET)),2014 - 2016
Potential candidate must have :
- Undegraduate CGPA >= 3.0 (or 70% and above) with publication records in Computer Science or Information Technology or related are prefered, and
- Fulltime candidates only, and
- Good command of English (especially written), and
- Good programming skills, and
- Positive and pleasant attitude.
Should the candidate pass in the probation period of 1 or 2 months as a Research Assistant, the tuition fees is exempted and monthly allowances is paid as well.
- Other Scholarship opportunities: Bright Sparks Program
- General requirements for postgraduate studies
- Ali Goudarzi (completed MCS in 2012)
- Niesha Gurusamy (completed MCS in 2012)
- Shiva Imani (completed MCS in 2012)
- Kamala Subaramaniam (completed MCS in 2013)
- Nisrin Talib Jabir (completed MCS in 2013)
- Nafisseh Samadi (completed MCS in 2013)
- Parisa Dabir (completed MCS in 2013)
- Prabha Rajagopal (completed MCS in 2013)
- Nor Aliza (completed MCS in 2014)
- Nur Amalia (completed MCS in 2014)
- Priya Krishnan (completed MCS in 2014)
- Asad Ali Shah
- Parnia Samimi
- Prabha Rajagopal
- Ahmad Maaref
- Mohammad Hossein Torabi
- Thiruniraiselvi Maniam
- Nor Hatini
- Zhang Shu Xiang
- Pradeesh Parameswaran
- Muhammad Sani Ibrahim
- Pang Wei Ting
- Masumeh Taheri
- Recent publications [since Aug 2007]
- "Ranking Retrieval Systems Using Pseudo Relevance Judgments", Ravana, Rajagopal, Balakrishnan. ASLIB Journal of Information Management, Volume X, Issue X, pp. X-X (ISI indexed - Accepted)
- "Document-based approach to improve the accuracy of pairwise comparison in evaluating information retrieval systems", Ravana, Taheri. ASLIB Journal of Information Management, Volume 67, Issue 4, pp. 408-421 (ISI indexed)
- " Web credibility assessment: affecting factors and assessment techniques", Shah, Ravana, Hamid, Ismail. Information Research-an International Electronic Journal, Volume 20, Issue 1 (ISI indexed)
- " Creation of Relevance Judgments Exclusive of Human Assessors in Large Scale Information Retrieval Evaluation Experimentation", Rajagopal, Ravana, Ismail. Malaysian Journal of Computer Science, Volume 27, Issue 2 (ISI indexed)
- "Enhancing Collaborative Learning in Wikis through anIterative Model by Supporting Various User Roles", Shah, Ravana. Malaysian Journal of Computer Science, Volume 27, Issue 4 (ISI indexed)
- " Creation of Reliable Relevance Judgments in Information Retrieval Systems Evaluation Experimentation through Crowdsourcing: A Review", Samimi, Ravana. The Scientific World Journal, Volume 2014 (ISI indexed)
- "Evaluating Information Credibility of Digital Content using Hybrid Approach",Shah, Ravana. International Journal of Information Systems and Engineering, Volume 2, Issue 1
- "Autism and the Need for Special User Interface Design for Web Surfacing",Ravana, Gurusamy, Varathan. Education Practice and Innovation, Volume 1, Issue 2
- "Low-Cost Evaluation Techniques for Information Retrieval Systems: A Review", Moghadasi, Ravana, Raman. Journal of Informetrics, Volume 7, Issue 2, pp. 301-312 (Tier 1, ISI indexed)
- "Utilization Of Cross- Terms To Enhance The Language Model For Information Retrieval", Barakat, Ismail, Ravana. Malaysian Journal of Computer Science, Volume 26, Issue 3, pp. 196-210 (ISI indexed)
- "Evaluation of Information Retrieval Systems", Ravana, Moffat. AKEPT's 1st Annual Young Researchers International Conference and Exhibition, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 19 -20 December 2011. (Winner of Best Poster Award).
- "Estimating System Effectiveness Scores with Incomplete Evidence", Ravana, Moffat. Proc. 15th Australasian Document Computing Symposium, Melbourne, Australia, 10 December 2010, pages 20 -27. (Winner of Best Paper Award). Published Paper
- "Score Estimation, Incomplete Judgments, and Significance Testing in IR Evaluation", Ravana, Moffat. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Sixth Asia Information Retrieval Societies Conference (AIRS 2010), Taipei, Taiwan, 1 - 3 December 2010, pages 97 - 109. Published Paper
- "System Scoring Using Partial Prior Information", Ravana, Park, Moffat. Proc. 32nd Ann. Int. ACM SIGIR Conf. on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, 19 - 23 July 2009, pages 788-789. Published Paper
- "Score Aggregation Techniques in Retrieval Experimentation", Ravana, Moffat. Proc. 2009 Australasian Database Conference, Wellington, New Zealand, January 2009, pages 59 - 67. (Winner of Best Paper Award). Link to ACM portal , Published Paper
"Integration between Location Based Service (LBS) and Online Analytical Processing (OLAP): Semantic Approach", Haris, Ismail and Ravana. Journal for Information Systems Research and Practice, 1(1), November 2008. Published Paper
- "E-Construction Waste Exchange in Malaysia: A Preliminary Study", Ramli, Nasaruddin and Ravana. Proc. 3rd Int. Symp. on Information Technology, Malaysia, 26 - 29 August 2008. Published Paper
- "Exploring Evaluation Metrics: GMAP versus MAP", Ravana, Moffat. Proc. 31st Ann. Int. ACM SIGIR Conf. on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Singapore, 20 - 24 July 2008, pages 687-688. Published Paper
- "Semantic integration between GIS and OLAP", Haris, Ravana and Ismail, Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Informatics, Malaysia, 27 – 28 November 2007. Published Paper
Phone: +603-7967 6348
Fax: +603-7957 9249
Last modified on 2 April 2013.
Disclaimer: This page, its content and style, are the responsibility of the author and do not necessarily represent the views, policies, or opinions of University of Malaya, Malaysia.